23 September, 2010

5 Barrel Pale Ale.

It's Arthur Guinness day and despite the festivities taking place everywhere outside the Dundrum realm myself and Eoin Deveney are too celebrating the great brewing concept. We have made a conscious decision to ditch the black stuff and explore our American heritage in the way of the Odell Brewing Company, Fort Collins, Colorado.
5 Barrel Pale Ale graced our refrigeration unit no more than 5 weeks ago but due to other work commitments (a.k.a other drinks consumed) I had neglected to get tasting.

The 5Barrel Pale Ale pours a toffee, amber coloured ale. Looks like something you'd get a spoon to and shovel over ice-cream. It has this delicious redcurrant, raisin and sweet creamy pudding nose. It smells like it's going to be sweet and something I'd have with my mum's bread and butter pudding. NO! The second I go to take a slug I get a mouth full of a florist shop on Valentines day. Not unpleasant though, Cherry fruit mixed in there with a dry and hopped finish.
Eoin, who generally isn't a pale ale fan, is almost pleasantly surprised. Quote, unquote - ''I would buy a few bots but it's not my fav!!' - I actually prompted the fav abbreviation. He's way cooler than that, unlike his sister!!!
I have the St.Lupulin, Extra Pale Ale in stock also, will get blogging on that but may leave it until after 10pm - looks a little unprofessional.
Rxx

No comments: